Planning Case Study: Renewing a 5-Year Strategic Plan for a Member-based Association
The Ontario Sustainable Energy Association is a member-based, not-for-profit organization focused on enabling the adoption of renewable and sustainable energy generation in the province of Ontario.
In light of the opportunities brought about by the creation of supportive green energy policies in the Province of Ontario, OSEA sought to review and refresh their 5-Year Strategic Plan.
C2C was contracted to develop and facilitate a planning session that would allow the Board of Directors and key Staff to provide input for the new strategic plan.
The planning process unfolded in 6 broad steps:
- A visioning exercise was conducted to help participants describe their organization in the 5th future year.
- The vision was then represented as a series of outcomes statements.
- This future perspective was used to critically assess the existing strategic plan – to identify gaps that would have to be addressed.
- A strengths-weaknesses-opportunities-threats (SWOT) analysis was conducted to verify the feasibility of the outcomes.
- A series of broad goals and objectives, along with supporting actions in 3 specific areas were identified.
The resulting summary provided the basis for the renewed Strategic 5-Year Plan.
The day-long session provided a cooperative environment in which to integrate Board and Staff perspectives. It encouraged collaborative visioning, supported by practical approaches, which resulted in a realistic 5-year action plan.